"I often wonder what goes on in that head of yours. Every idea must be like one of those bouncy super balls just ricocheting all over the place."

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Little Pack Rat

As I'm sitting in my room drowned in an abyss of clothes, I realize how much of a pack rat I really am. It's been almost 7 years since I've lived with my parents and now that I'm done with applications, I decided that it's probably time that I unpack my boxes. (Although, I think that these boxes will all need to be repacked within 7 months.) Regardless, unpacking boxes doesn't mean just the boxes that I've brought back from my most recent apartment, unpacking boxes includes all of the boxes that I lugged home from college because my first apartment didn't have enough room or the boxes that I continued to lug from 2006 Maple Ave in Evanston throughout Chicago over the past 4 years.

While unpacking these boxes, I've come across a wealth of memories -- pictures, pennants, little plastic trinkets, pens from job fairs -- you name it, I seem to have it. I know that I need to get rid of some of these things, because there's just not enough room for them. In addition to the fact that I just don't need these things anymore. But it's really hard for me to part from then. Take the plastic rhinoceros I got from inside a KinderEgg that Nancy-o brought back from Germany for me during our sophomore year in Kemper. It's been almost 6 years since I got that little plastic rhinoceros. It has no true purpose in my life, but I can't bring myself to throw it away. So for now, it's found a home on my bookshelf next to The Confederacy of Dunces. (By the way, for those of you who have not discovered the KinderEgg, I suggest that you find yourself to Europe so that you can sample one. There's nothing spectacular about the chocolate itself, but a chocolate egg filled with a prize is enough to make this girl happy.)

Besides trinkets, I have about a million T-shirts that are 10 sizes too large for me. Most of them were acquired somewhere on the Northwestern campus, but others are from Aksys. Why oh why do people insist on passing out XL t-shirts to everyone and their mothers? Don't people realize that XL is not synonymous with one size fits all? So if anyone is in need of some new t-shirts, please don't hesitate to let me know. I've got all kinds and all colors.

But seriously, does anyone else have this problem of being a pack rat and not being able to part with things? I have a wine glass from a Delta Chi date party that I went to with an ex-boyfriend; should I keep it or should I toss it? I'm pretty sure that I'll never drink from it, and I'm no longer friends with said person. But the glass is kind of pretty? Oh what to do, what to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home