"I often wonder what goes on in that head of yours. Every idea must be like one of those bouncy super balls just ricocheting all over the place."

Friday, June 02, 2006

My Boyfriend's a Lawyer, But...

that has nothing to do with me.

I initially didn't want to blog about this, but it's something that's been nagging me for the past couple
of weeks. At Danny’s wedding a couple of weeks ago, I ran into an ex-boyfriend from my freshman year at Northwestern. Let’s call him “M” for Mistake. I know that that may sound harsh, but it’s the best way that I can summarize my feelings about the whole relationship.

M and I chit-chatted about what we had been doing the past couple of years. I told him about my years doing engineering and my recent switch to investment banking. I also told him about the upcoming move to the Bay Area to attend Haas. He told me about his graduate school experience and his new job as a consultant. Things were going fine until we started talking about our current romantic relationships. He told me that his girlfriend was living in the Bay Area and they were doing a long-distance thing. I told him about Law McGraw and our plans of moving to
San Francisco together. The real killer was this:

M: So what does Law McGraw do?

Jodyann: He’s finishing his last year of law school. He has a job lined up at a law firm in San Francisco, so we’re going to be moving out there the month before Haas starts.

M: Oh wow! He’s a lawyer! Well, you really did well for yourself! You snagged a lawyer!

And that angered me so much! Out of everything else that I’ve worked so hard for, I would hardly consider having a lawyer boyfriend as my most significant accomplishment. It’s not as if I went on a hunt specifically for a lawyer. Even if Law McGraw was a starving artist, I would still love him and consider myself to be the luckiest girl in the world.

This isn’t the first time that something like this has happened to me. Any time I run into someone from my past, they’re always impressed about Law McGraw being a lawyer. What about everything that I’ve done in my life? What about all the years that I spent learning organic chemistry and fluid dynamics to be an engineer? What about my promotions and raises? What about my GMAT score? What about my acceptances to business schools? What about the fact that I’m truly happy right now? Aren’t all of these things a better indicator of how well I’ve done for myself?


Why must people assess me based on Law McGraw’s chosen career path?

7 Comments:

Blogger the shrewness said...

or a doctor, right??

ive dated several lawyers and ive always gotten that huge smile and wink move that other women give. like youve won the lottery or something.

my advice? just ignore them and move on. theyre just jealous that youre happy.

1:55 PM

 
Blogger iy said...

i agree with shrewness, they jus jealous.

10:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is funny, because when my friends back home ask what you do, and I tell them "Oh, she's a biomedical engineer, but she's working in intellectual capital equity right now, and going back to school to get her MBA so that she can start he own medical device company," they are TOTALLY FLOORED. I don't think they even understand half of what I've just told them, but they do usually say something like "Dude! Holy crap! You can just stay home and hangout!" By comparison, when I tell people that I'm going to be a lawyer, I usually get the following response: "Oh."

12:16 PM

 
Blogger mct said...

Amen!

Lawyers are boring anyway.

10:39 AM

 
Blogger I am large, I contain multitudes said...

Lawyers are not boring. Lawyers are God's gift to women, even the hippie ones like Claire.

9:38 AM

 
Blogger mbeecher said...

Lawyers lived with them my whole life, your skills are much more valuable than his. anyone can argue, what I can't belive is that I was thinking about dating one. But let me tell you, As soon as he found out I was a pilot he was drewling... So to speak, he wants me to bring my uniform on a non co. trip so he can wear it. If this does not tell you anything I don't know what will.... It's over rated!

8:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should tell people to mind their business... but then again if that's what you wanted you wouldn't be blogging about it telling the world. Ps my bf is a lawyer and I tell everyone! Lol

5:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home