"I often wonder what goes on in that head of yours. Every idea must be like one of those bouncy super balls just ricocheting all over the place."

Friday, March 02, 2007

A True "Shaky" Californian

After living in the Bay Area for the past 7 months, I can finally say that I'm a true California girl. At 8:40pm PST tonight, I felt my first earthquake. The news reported that it was a 4.3 on the Richter scale, but as this Midwestern girl will tell you, it felt a lot stronger than that. I saw my entire apartment sway from side to side for about 15 seconds, and some of my belongings even shifted. Now I know why there are no skyscrapers out here.

So after living through this "light" earthquake, I think that I'm ready to move back to Chicago. Even though there's snow there and it's cold for about 9 months out of the year, the ground is flat and it never moves. Not even a slight tremor of any kind. I might need to analyze the tradeoffs between sunshine and snow, but Chicago has the edge at the moment.

3 Comments:

Blogger the shrewness said...

i dont think i can live in a state where the earth moves on a fairly regular basis.

id take the snow and cold over sunshine and earthquakes any day...

6:50 AM

 
Blogger iy said...

scary~! i hope it didn't shake you up too much. how about i send you some chicago dirt so maybe you'll feel more at home?

1:03 AM

 
Blogger mct said...

Earthquakes are scary. I was in junior high during the Northridge earthquake, which registered 6.7 on the Richter scale. I ran outside (stupid) and seriously thought that the world was ending. But everything below that is nothing to me now. The last earthquake I felt was about 5 or 6 years ago, probably not unlike the one you felt, in Berkeley.

5:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home