"I often wonder what goes on in that head of yours. Every idea must be like one of those bouncy super balls just ricocheting all over the place."

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Mail Me a Snail

With the current technological advances, a friend is always only an email or a cell phone call away. We've all gotten so used to instant gratification. There's nothing like being able to instantly catch up with a friend through a phone call or sending oodles of electronic information to someone in another time zone.

But this weekend, I was reconnected with a traditional form of communication -- snail mail. I received a package containing a greeting card, a chocolate lollipop, and a very cute bunny pen. I must admit that the entire package made me truly happy. Whether it was merely because of the fact that I received a package or if it was because it was from someone very special to me, I can't exactly pinpoint what the source of the happiness was. There's nothing like reading a greeting card and smiling like a fool the entire time. It's almost like reading a book. There's so much emotion and feelings involved in writing a greeting card that can be captured by the receiver of the card. The best part of the package was the fact that it was sent by someone that lives 5 miles away whom I talk to every single day. He was able to surprise me in such a way that it made me feel truly special.

I've always been a huge fan of instant gratification. Maybe it's been compounded from working in a very aggressive corporate environment, but I've never been the most patient person. But that package this weekend made me rethink the beauty of a handwritten letter or greeting card. Maybe I'll have to re-adopt the art form before the United States postal service decides to increase the cost of a postage stamp once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home