"I often wonder what goes on in that head of yours. Every idea must be like one of those bouncy super balls just ricocheting all over the place."

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Wayne Robert Williams is My Hero

Most of my friends hate Sundays. It's the last day of the weekend and the day before the work week starts again. But Sunday is one of my favorite days.

I'm a media junkie and my favorite thing to do on Sunday morning is to read the newspaper. I'm a nerd, and I must admit that I read every single section. From the front page to the last Field's ad, I read it all. I can't say that I read every single article in the paper, but I do read every headline. I love the newspaper every day, but Sunday is my favorite, because it contains the Chicago Tribune Magazine.

The Chicago Tribune Magazine combines the best of both worlds: the newspaper and the magazine. I love magazines. There's something about the shiny pages and the colorful pictures. I read them all; from In Style to the Economist. But my favorite part of the Chicago Tribune Magazine is the sunday crossworld puzzle.

I'm a fanatic when it comes to crossword puzzles. I can still remember the first time that the crossword puzzle started to appear in the Daily Northwestern. During college, my roommate and then-boyfriend always wanted to do the crossword puzzle in Tech Express during our break in between classes. I always fanagled my way out of it and said that I had homework that I needed to finish. I like crossword puzzles, but I love doing them ALONE. It would have been fine if all three of us each did our own puzzle, but I can't stand it when everyone crowds around one and answers are just shouted out. I'm very particular about the way that I fill in the boxes. All letters in the puzzle must be capital. In addition, I have to cross off the clue once I've completed it. (Jimmy, I could never understand how you did the puzzle without crossing out the clues.) So Arin and Erik, I'm sorry that I never did the crossword puzzle with you guys at Tech. It wasn't that I didn't like you guys. I just couldn't stand doing the puzzle together.

Even now, I'm still very particular about my crossword puzzles. I clip them out of the Tribune and work on them until I complete them. I never throw out an unfinished puzzle. Currently on my floor, there must be about hundreds of crosswords just waiting to be finished.

My favorite part of the crossword puzzle are the clues that are witty. They're usually a play on words and require some creative thinking. There's just something about me and wit. Everyone knows that Jody loves wit.

So if you ever see me doing a crossword puzzle, please don't lean over my shoulder and start shouting out answers. I can't promise that things won't get ugly. And Mikers, I will be so mad if you're next to my hospital bed trying to do the crossword puzzle with a group after I've given birth to my child. So mad. Plus, there's nothing wrong with saving half-finished crossword puzzles.

1 Comments:

Blogger lostpancake said...

I think you mentioned this on our visit to the lovely city of Las Vegas. I hardly believed that it was important enough to you to complete crosswords on your own that you would devote an essay length blog post to it!

I resolve to leave you alone re: crossword puzzles.

1:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home